Some Scouts and Venturers will share Jamboree stories with friends on Instagram and Snapchat.
But other 2017 National Jamboree participants will do one better, sharing their first-person Jamboree experience with local news organizations back home.
Register today as National Hometown Media Correspondents, where you’ll make headlines in local newspapers and on TV stations and news websites.
Here’s the scoop:
- Who: All registered youth Jamboree participants are eligible. (Register for the Jamboree here.)
- What: Hometown Media, the Jamboree’s youth media hub powered by Boys’ Life. Correspondents will write news stories, share photos and content, and/or transmit video from the Summit Bechtel Reserve to media outlets back home and to the entire world online. The staff members at Hometown Media, many of them working journalists, will help the Scouts create their stories and provide the equipment they’ll need to do so.
- When: Throughout the 2017 National Jamboree, held July 19 to 28.
- Where: The Summit Bechtel Reserve in West Virginia. Scouts and Venturers can roam the Jamboree for interesting stories to send to newspapers, magazines, radio stations, websites and TV stations in their hometown.
- Why: Because National Hometown Media Correspondents get access to special events, celebrity interview opportunities, behind-the-scenes photo ops and more — all available only to them. And it’s an opportunity for Scouts and Venturers to write an article for their local paper or website or appear on the local news — a great experience and a potential résumé-booster. Plus, participants can earn a free patch!
- How: Visit this page to register. You may also register onsite at the Jamboree at the Hometown Media tent. Multiple Scouts and Venturers may register from one Jamboree troop.
- Important: Before registering, Scouts or Venturers should try to connect with a media outlet and gather the following information:
- News organization name
- Phone number of the media outlet
- Name of editor or media outlet contact
- Email address of editor/media outlet contact
More questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org